Regardless of the Coronavirus pandemic across the world, the Electoral Commission of Ghana says it will go ahead to compile a new voters register for the 2020 elections.
The Commission in a statement signed by its acting Director of Public Affairs, Ms. Sylvia Annoh discredited reports in some media platforms suggesting the compilation of new register had been cancelled due to some recorded case of the Covid-19 virus in Ghana.
The Commission in view of President Akuffo-Addo’s directive to suspend all public gathering including Social Distancing as part of measures to curtail the spread of the Coronavirus also said a new date for registration will be announced in due time.
“The Commission wishes to state that the compilation of the New Voter’s Register has not been cancelled. Plans are far advanced for the successful take-off of the registration process,”the statement said.
The EC maintains it will put in place adequate measures at designated registration points to safeguard people from getting infected with the virus.
“In this regard, the Electoral Commission will put in place concrete measures including providing sanitizers at all polling stations and providing a conducive atmosphere at all registration centres so as to protect its stakeholders from the virus amongthe statement added.
The EC is therefore urging the public to turn out for the exercise to ensure a credible, free, transparent and peaceful 2020 elections.
Meanwhile, on Tuesday, 17th March, the Surveillance Department of the Ghana Health Service yesterday confirmed a new cases has been recorded bring the number to seven so far in the country.